The Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT), in conjunction with the Associated General Contractors (AGC) of Washington, Inland Northwest AGC and RHA, LLC, will be providing this Partnering and Conflict Resolution training to WSDOT staff and contractor personnel involved in the administration of construction contracts.
The concept of partnering on construction projects has been around since the early 1990s and embraces the principles of --
• trust and open communications.
• All parties addressing and resolving issues and problems promptly and at the lowest possible level.
• All parties striving to develop solutions that are agreeable and meet the needs of everyone involved (win-win approach).
• All parties having identified common goals for the partnership while being aware of and respecting each other’s goals and values.
• Partners seeking input from each other in an effort to find better solutions to the problems and issues at hand. This creates synergy in the relationship that fosters cooperation and improves the productivity of the partnership.
The objective of embracing these Partnering principles is to reduce conflict and disputes on construction contracts that result in wasted time and money that ultimately result in increased costs. Emphasis is placed on revitalizing the Partnering principles and the development of personnel skills that will promote better communication, negotiation and issue-resolving abilities.
Renee Hoekstra of RHA, LLC